Sunday, February 15, 2009

Where is the Mosque?

Today was your typical monday morning - intermittent sleep followed by a groggy wake up. 3 snoozes on the alarm and a slow start to my day. This morning, as with random mornings (and afternoons and evenings) I heard the loud and incessant speakers blaring down my streets, proclaiming something in Korean. No idea what. Or rather, I used to have no idea what.
Before I came to Korea, I anticipated it being a country of Buddhists, Christians, maybe some Hindus thrown in for good measure. Didn't expect many Muslims though. Thus I was quite surprised when I first arrived to hear these loud speakers throughout my day - I thought (for my first two months here) that it was the Muslim call to prayer.
Well apparently the call to prayer sounds strikingly similar to the local fruit sellers who drive their trucks up and down streets, flatbeds filled with the seasonal fruit, playing their recording of "Mandarin Oranges, 1 basket, 5,000 won!"
Now, without fail, when I hear the loud speakers driving down my little street, I have a strong desire to pray on my knees, followed by a craving for fresh fruit.

1 comment:

SSUMC WORSHIP said...

haha. nice. i hear APPLES GET YOUR APPPPLLEEEESSS. APPLES GET YOUR APPPLLEEESSSs.